I first discovered Remi Wolf when my ears were exposed to her effervescent “Woo!” in 2020. But it was the track “Gorilla” the following year, and then 2024’s “Cinderella,” when I found myself running with the Wolf-pack.
The California-native is back, this time with a couple of confessional compositions, cuts which will be part of her album “Mud” in early-October.
The first was “Twiggy,” a track which goes from adoration to angst in two-minutes flat. And now there’s “Bottle.”
While “Twiggy” reflects on her codependency regarding a boyfriend, “Bottle” does the same, but with booze.
This isn’t the first time her use of alcohol has been a theme in her music. Remi sings about her addiction on the 2021 “Juno” tracks “Pitiful” and “Liquor Store.”
For “Bottle,” she ponders sobriety, temptation, and living in a state of limbo while being pulled in two different directions.
“I'm off and on and off again/On and off and on again…”
Here, Remi uses her musical magic to successfully place bleak lyrics over a brisk backdrop of relaxed twangy guitar-strums. Much like the “Cinderella” line “Me and the boys in the hotel lobby.” “Bottle’s hook comes with a similar catchy cadence.
“Can't get the bottle if I don't get up/I can't get drunk if I don't got drugs/I can't make nice on a one way street/A psychic column in a magazine…”
Next, you’re scream-singing in synch with her frustrations during the song’s middle-eight.
“Drop top, head shot, baddie with the big bucks…Yeah, I GOTTA GET OUT!!!”
Oh, and the brief angelic accents of “Ooohs” and “Aaahs” in the song’s second refrain are beautiful additions.
Yes, “Bottle” is catchy and crazed, bouncy and bare, personal and predisposed. And it looks as though her equation of self-awareness plus depression will easily equal a million+ streams for this tasty Bottle-bop.
Paraphrasing Wolf, “Bottle” is definitely “on and ON and ON again!
